Baking soda is white, dry, powdery chemical leavening agent. It is pure sodium bicarbonate and is different from baking powder. It releases carbon dioxide in form of bubbles when it interacts with an acid and water.
|Image Source: Click Here|
- Used as a cleaning agent: Take soda on damp sponge and clean your microwave, silver items, plastics, showers, bath tub, bathroom tiles, refrigerator, burnt-on food from cookware, cutting boards, food containers, tea pots, dentures and stainless steel sink. To clean the toilet, add a cup to the toilet leave for an hour and then flush, it will sparkle and odor will be gone. Use it to remove grease from pots and pans. Remove crayon marks from walls and vinyl floor. Soak brushes and combs in baking soda solution. To make scrubbing dishes easier use it in dishwasher. Sprinkle it over the carpet leave it for an hour or overnight and then vacuum up. Mix it with warm water to wash baby bottles, nipples and brushes.
- Use it in your laundry: Add half a cup of baking soda to regular liquid laundry detergent to whiten dirty cloths and socks. Use it to wash diapers. It also minimizes the smell of dirty laundry.
- Health and beauty uses: Dissolve half cup soda in a tepid bath and soak in the bath for fifteen minutes to soothe sunburn, windburn and prickly heat. Use half cup soda in a tub of warm water for soft and relaxing bath. Use it as an antacid. Works as a underarm deodorant. Use it as a scrub for face and body. One teaspoon baking soda in one-half glass of warm water works as a refreshing mouthwash. Mix tablespoon of soda with your regular shampoo and then rinse your hair it will prevent conditioner and styling gel build up in hair. Mix half teaspoon of soda with peroxide and use it as a toothpaste. Baking soda works as a blackheads remover, wash face with warm water and apply a dab of baking soda on affected area leave it for two minutes now rinse off soda with warm water.
- Used in allergies: In a neti pot full of warm water mix quarter teaspoon of soda and quarter teaspoon of salt clean out nasal passage once a day will cure nasal allergies and cold. To soothe baby’s diaper rashes add two tablespoon of baking soda in baby’s bath. To reduce pain and swelling of red bump caused by insect bite or animal/plant sting dab thick paste of soda on the sore area and let it dry. For itchy and dry eyes make an eyewash with baking soda use one teaspoon of baking soda and two cup of water.
- Uses in the home: To repel cockroaches and ants put it under the sink and in kitchen cabinets. Add a teaspoon to the water in vase to keep cut flowers fresh for longer. Keep it in open container in a fridge to absorb odor. Baking soda can work as modeling clay mix soda in 1 1/4 cup of water with one cup cornstarch. To soften the stiff brushes boil them in solution of one cup soda, 1/4 cup vinegar and 1/2 gallon water. Sprinkle a pinch of baking soda in shoes, slippers, socks to remove bad odor from them. Wash fruits and vegetables with baking soda solution. Use it as an air freshener by mixing it with perfumed bath salt and then keep it in small sachets.
There many other uses also but I found these tips very useful in day to day life so shared them here for my blog readers. Now I am sure that after reading this you are going to stockpile it, isn’t it 🙂 and its very cheap too!!