- Unplug electronics and chargers as these devices use power even when they are off.
- Using CFL(Compact Fluorescent Lighting) is always a good option to save electricity as it uses only 2/3 rd of electricity than regular bulbs and tube lights.
- Put off the fans and lights when you are not around can help cut down electricity bills to large extent.
- Use electric and electronic items that have high efficiency rating.
- Seal all the air leaks to stop the wastage of heated air in winters and cooled air in summers. This way you can save energy and lot on your electricity bill.
- AC with automatic temperature cut off are best to choose. Set temperature at 24 degree C as it doesn’t require more electricity and is quiet comfortable temperature. Place AC unit in shade as it consumes less energy. Don’t put TV or lamps near AC thermostat as it senses heat and runs longer to cool the place.
- Lower water heater’s temperature from 130 degree F to 120 degree F to save energy to a greater extent.
- Using solar water heater instead of electrical one is better option to save energy.
- Washing cloths in top load washing machine with cold water is a good idea to save energy.
- Prefer natural drying of clothes instead of using dryer. Always wash with full loads.
- Do not iron wet cloths as it consumes more electricity. Use iron with automatic temperature cutoff.
- In the kitchen boiling or cooking food in a pan with lid on can save lot of energy. If possible cook food in pressure cooker. Always remember to turn off the regulator of gas cylinder when not in use.
- If flames have turned red or yellow then check for any blockage in burner, Flame should be blue.
- Keep refrigerator few inch away from wall so that there is proper circulation of air. Always keep food covered in refrigerator as uncovered food releases moisture and in turn make compressor work harder.
- Avoid keeping hot and warm food inside fridge rather wait for it to cool down to room temperature.
- Install exhaust fan at higher level than ceiling fan.
- Choose microwave oven over conventional or electric oven as it consumes only 50% of energy.
- Turn off your computer or laptop when not in use as leaving them on stand by mode is a wastage of energy. Keeping CPU on and turning of monitor it self can save 40% energy. Set your electronic devices to sleep mode when they are not in use.
This way you can conserve lot of energy and can do your bit in progress of our country as it’s growth depends on success of industries and industries need energy. So now you know how to save energy, lets start conserving energy for our nation’s growth.
Make this one of your New Year Resolution!!